POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : is pi in any of the standard included fonts? (also, random character stream= : is pi in any of the standard included fonts? (also, random character stream= Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:28:38 EDT (-0400)
  is pi in any of the standard included fonts? (also, random character stream=
From: Smws
Date: 4 Dec 2005 22:55:00
Message: <web.4393b945d8624128b59af090@news.povray.org>
So, I have several questions, and this group has been extremely helpful
before:

1)I was wanting to put the greek letter lowercase "pi" on a sphere, and I
was wondering if any of the ttfs included with POV had anything besides the
standard ASCII. If not, are there free ttfs that do? If so, how would I
reference that character in calling the text object? How can I see what
letters are in a given ttf, anyway?

2)In the same vein, is there an elegant way to get a random text stream? I'm
filling a sphere with text and it would be nice to use this. I thought of
referencing an array with each character as an element, but that seems
tedious to construct (maybe I'm just really lazy).

3)In the course of making this scene, I have hacked together some macros for
writing and engraving text (procedurally) on a sphere in various ways. It
was time-consuming for me, as I am fairly new to programming, but if
there's any interest I would be glad to post it. (For example I have a
version of the colors.inc demo scene that writes the name of the colors on
the spheres :))

Thanks!
Stefan Sittler